- Around 3 apple's or 450g cooking apples
- juice of ½ lemon
- 225g butter, softened
- 280g golden caster sugar
- 4 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 350g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- demerara sugar, to sprinkle
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
Peel, core and thinly slice the apples then squeeze the lemon juice over. Set to one side.
- Mix the butter, caster sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder until smooth.
Arrange half the apples over the top of the mixture, then repeat the layers. Sprinkle over the demerara sugar.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until golden and springy to the touch.